As I’ve been thinking about my upcoming return to the classroom and placement in fifth grade next year, millions of thoughts have been running through my head. Here are five things that make me excited about this next adventure:
- Working to create lifelong readers. I can’t wait to put the right books in the right kids’ hands. I can’t wait to participate in the Global Read Aloud. I can’t wait to work with reluctant readers and (hopefully) reach as many of them as possible.
- Teaching writing every day. I’ve had many opportunities to model lessons over the past several years, but there’s something magical about taking a group of kids from the beginning to the end of a unit. (I also can’t wait to participate in the Classroom Slice of Life challenge next March for the first time!)
- Creating a classroom that is truly student-centered. I’m so excited to give kids a voice in their own learning and to get to know them as we build a community together.
- Implementing and applying all of the learning I have done over the past six years as a mentor. I’ve had so many incredible experiences, worked with some absolutely amazing people, and observed countless classrooms. I hope I can put all of my growth together to create a fantastic learning experience for my students!
- My new team! Each of them has fifth grade experience, and not only are all of them fantastic teachers, but all are also genuinely wonderful people. I can’t wait to see what we will accomplish together!
I’m excited to join other writers every Tuesday (and daily during the month of March) in 2017 to participate in the Slice of Life writing challenge through Two Writing Teachers. Read all about how you can Write. Share. Give. on their website here.